6th Global Conference in Kuala Lumpur/Putrajaya
Educational tour (optional).
Saturday December 19, 2015
- 09:00-10:30 Registration
- 10:30-12:00 Plenary opening session
- Welcome and formal opening
- M. Peter van der Hoek, President Forum for Economists International
- Prof. Dr. Zulkornain Yusop, Dean, Faculty of economics and management, University Putra Malaysia
- Jurriaan Middelhoff, Head of Economic and Trade Department, Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands Kuala Lumpur
Distinguished Address by Prof. Dr. Zakariah Abdul Rashid
Malaysia's structural gap and reform initiatives
Although Malaysia has evolved into a robust modern economy it is now stuck in the middle-income trap, needing a structural transformation as a pre-requisite to achieve high-income status. Technological enhancement alone is not a panacea as its institutional environment is continuously being challenged. The fiscal deficit needs to be reduced, while imperfections in the product and labor markets need to be addressed. A successful implementation of strategic reforms will depend on the political will and determination of all Malaysians.
Prof. Dr. Zakariah Abdul Rashid is professor of economics at the University Putra Malaysia (UPM) and Executive Director of the Malaysian Institute of Economic Research (MIER). He has published numerous articles, has served as a consultant to many research institutes and is a member of numerous committees.
- 12:00-13:00 Lunch
- 13:00-15:00 Concurrent sessions
- 15:00-15:15 Refreshment break
- 15:15-17:45 Concurrent sessions
- 17:45-19:45 Welcoming Reception
- 08:45-10:45 Concurrent sessions
- 10:45-11:00 Refreshment break
- 11:00-13:00 Concurrent sessions
- 13:00-14:00 Lunch
- 14:00-16:00 Concurrent sessions
- 16:00-16:15 Refreshment break
- 16:15-18:15 Concurrent sessions
Monday December 21, 2015
- Educational tour (optional).